West Midlands Veterinary Referrals is a veterinary practice based in Burton on Trent that only does referral veterinary work, not general practice. We work in support of colleagues in general practice, taking cases that can’t be managed at their usual general practice. We welcome a very wide range of cases in orthopaedics, soft tissue surgery, spinal surgery, and medicine.
These cases range from the straightforward to the complex and challenging. Many of the practices that refer to us are within a few dozen miles, but we have had referrals from as far afield as Southampton, Southend, Kent, Yorkshire, Edinburgh, Merseyside and Bristol!
At Burton on Trent we have a purpose built suite to provide the comprehensive surgical treatment, advanced imaging, patient monitoring and the diligent aftercare that many referral cases require. Our normal working hours are 08.00 – 19.00 on week days. but we are accessible by phone round the clock to give advice and to see urgent cases, as necessary.
For elective surgeries, we offer a mobile surgical service in the Midlands
We provide a high quality, efficient, friendly service. We pride ourselves on keeping costs firmly grounded in reality and in providing exceptionally good value. We aim to provide fixed prices wherever possible. (See the section for Small Pet Owners for more details, and please note that there are some differences in the application of fixed prices with surgical and medical cases).
We communicate efficiently with the referring general practitioner, providing a written report and a care plan by email. We will see cases back whenever required after surgery, but we typically see cases back 2-3 post-operatively although often times a photo of a wound, a video of the patient moving and a phone call will suffice and avoid un-neccesary stress and travel. many of our cases need check x-rays, and most adult patients require these around 8 weeks after surgery. We don’t charge for our follow up surgical checks, or for our follow up radiography. Where repeat travelling to us is problematic, we can still give readily available support to both the owner and the referring vet with the help of modern communication technology.
What we offer
- Experienced surgeons, available twenty-four-seven.
- Normal working hours 08.00 – 19.00, weekdays.
- The means to manage a very wide range of surgical cases: Orthopaedic, neurological and soft tissue.
- The means to manage selected medical problems. We have very experienced ultrasonographers, but they aren't available every day and so our medical service is currently more suited to chronic rather than acute cases. Acute cases are often best served at a tertiary referral centre with an ITU - Willows Referrals at Solihull would be an excellent choice.
- Advanced imaging with a high-spec 64-slice CT machine.
- Digital radiography, Computed radiography and Doppler ultrasonography.
- Diligent and caring patient monitoring and post-operative care, including overnight care, where necessary.
- Fixed price surgery with follow up consults and radiography with us at no further charge. (See the section for Small Pet Owners for more details, and please note that there are some differences in the application of fixed prices with surgical and medical cases).