West Midlands Veterinary Referrals is a veterinary practice based in Burton upon Trent that only does referral veterinary work, not general practice. We support colleagues in general practice, taking cases that can’t be managed at their usual general practice. We welcome an extensive range of orthopaedics, soft tissue surgery, spinal surgery, and medicine cases.
These cases range from straightforward to complex and challenging. Many of the practices that refer to us are within a few dozen miles, but we have had referrals from as far afield as Southampton, Southend, Kent, Yorkshire, Edinburgh, Merseyside and Bristol!
At Burton-upon-Trent, we have a purpose-built suite to provide comprehensive surgical treatment, advanced imaging, patient monitoring and the diligent aftercare many referral cases require. Our standard working hours are 08.00 – 19.00 on weekdays. But we are accessible by phone round the clock to give advice and to see urgent cases, as necessary.
For elective surgeries, we offer a mobile surgical service in the Midlands.
We provide a high-quality, efficient, friendly service. We pride ourselves on keeping costs firmly grounded in reality and in providing outstanding value. We aim to provide fixed prices wherever possible. (See the section for Small Pet Owners for more details, and please note that there are some differences in the application of fixed prices with surgical and medical cases).
We communicate efficiently with the referring general practitioner, emailing a written report and a care plan. We will see cases back whenever required after surgery. Still, we typically see cases back 2-3 post-operatively. However, a photo of a wound, a video of the patient moving, and a phone call will suffice and avoid unnecessary stress and travel. Many of our cases need to check X-rays, and most adult patients require these around eight weeks after surgery. We don’t charge for our follow-up surgical checks or for our follow-up radiography. Where repeat travelling to us is problematic, we can still give readily available support to both the owner and the referring vet with the help of modern communication technology.
Find out more about our hospital.
What we offer
- Experienced surgeons, available twenty-four-seven.
- Regular working hours are 08.00 – 19.00, weekdays.
- The means to manage an extensive range of surgical cases: Orthopaedic, neurological and soft tissue.
- The means to manage selected medical problems. We have very experienced ultrasonographers, but they aren't available daily, so our medical service is currently more suited to chronic rather than acute cases. Acute cases are often best served at a tertiary referral centre with an ITU - Willows Referrals at Solihull would be an excellent choice.
- Advanced imaging with a high-spec 64-slice CT machine.
- Digital radiography, Computed radiography and Doppler ultrasonography.
- Diligent and caring patient monitoring and post-operative care, including overnight care, where necessary.
- Fixed-price surgery with follow-up consults and radiography with us at no further charge. (See the section for Small Pet Owners for more details, and please note that there are some differences in the application of fixed prices with surgical and medical cases).