West Midlands Veterinary Referrals is a veterinary practice based in Burton on Trent that only does referral veterinary work, not general practice. We work in support of colleagues in general practice, taking cases that can’t be managed at their usual general practice. We welcome a very wide range of cases in orthopaedics, soft tissue surgery, spinal surgery, medicine and cardiology.
These cases range from the straightforward to the complex and challenging. Many of the practices that refer to us are within a few dozen miles, but we get referrals from as far afield as Southampton, Southend, Yorkshire, Merseyside and Bristol.
At Burton on Trent we have a purpose built suite to provide the comprehensive surgical treatment, advanced imaging, patient monitoring and the diligent aftercare that many referral cases require. Our normal working hours are 08.00 – 19.00. but we are accessible by phone round the clock to give advice and to see urgent cases, as necessary.
For elective surgeries, we offer a mobile surgical service in the Midlands.
We provide a high quality, efficient, friendly service. We pride ourselves on keeping costs firmly grounded in reality and in providing exceptionally good value. We aim to provide fixed prices wherever possible. (See Section Pet Owners for more details, and please note that there are some differences in the application of fixed prices with surgical and ophthalmology cases).
We communicate efficiently with the referring general practitioner, providing a written report and a care plan. We typically have cases checked over by their own vet a few days after surgery where necessary, and we then typically see cases back 2-3 post-operatively, and then subsequently as required. We don’t charge for our follow up checks, or for our follow up radiography. Where repeat travelling to us is problematic, we can still give readily available support to both the owner and the referring vet with the help of modern communication technology.
What we offer
- Experienced surgeons, available twenty-four-seven
- Normal working hours 08.00 – 19.00
- The means to manage a very wide range of orthopaedic, neurological and soft tissue surgery cases
- The means to manage a very wide range of surgical and some medical problems
- Advanced imaging with 64-slice CT
- Digital radiography and Doppler ultrasonography
- Endoscopy and arthroscopy
- A more limited medical service; we have very experienced ultrasonographers, but they work part time and so our medical service is currently more suited to chronic rather than acute cases
- Diligent and caring patient monitoring and post-operative care, including overnight care, where necessary
- Fixed price surgery with follow up consults and radiography with us at no further charge. (See the section “Pet Owners” for more details, and please note that there are some differences in the application of fixed prices with surgical and ophthalmology cases).